GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba -- 04.17.14 -- The military judge in the USS Cole bombing case has ordered the CIA to give defense lawyers details — names, dates and places — of its secret overseas detention and interrogation of the man accused of planning the bombing, two people who have read the still-secret order said Thursday.
Army Col. James L. Pohl issued the five-page order Monday. It was sealed as document 120C on the war court website Thursday morning and, according to those who have read it, orders the agency to provide a chronology of the overseas odyssey of Abd al Rahim al Nashiri, 49, from his capture in Dubai in 2002 to his arrival at Guantánamo four years later.
The order sets the stage for a showdown between the CIA and a military judge, if the agency refuses to turn over the information to the prosecution for the defense teams. The order comes while the CIA fights a bitter, public battle with the Senate on its black site torture investigation. read more>>>
April 19, 2014 - The CIA is facing continued scrutiny over its black sites abroad for interrogating suspects under its "extraordinary rendition" program. read more>>>
Probe body chairman Chilcot’s conclusions should and could be published soon, but there are still some political obstacles to overcome
April 18, 2014 - Who wants to see the Iraq inquiry report published sometime soon? And who does not? Last week, the Independent reported that the fraught process of getting the government to declassify documents that will support the report’s findings is still “stalled”.
That may see the report come out very close to next year’s general election, which could harm Labour and suit the Tories. But Nick Clegg clearly is not happy and says things should be accelerated. His comments have been read as blaming Tony Blair for the hold-up, but Blair says he wants the report out there.
If you are confused, you are entitled to be. The inquiry and the Cabinet Office cannot even agree on how close they are to an agreement. As the Independent’s Nigel Morris wrote: “Sources close to Sir John and his four colleagues say they now regard the Cabinet Office’s attitude towards their requests as ‘ridiculous and intransigent’”. But the Cabinet Office is saying it “has been in a constructive dialogue with the inquiry team over recent months, with a clear view to meeting their declassification requests. That process should be concluded shortly.” read more>>>